Monday, March 12, 2012

Abalone Frozen vs. Fresh

Always wanted to jump in a wetsuit and go diving for some abalone. They say it is a risky sport but the darn things sure taste good.

 I picked up some of these frozen ones from Ranch 99 and it appears they have been very well individually frozen in a layer of ice. They often do this for shrimps so that they do not get freezer burns.




I sliced some of the frozen ones and tried it hot pot style. They tasted chewy and has abalone flavor to them but they didn't stand out as tasting GOOD. I kept on eating slices and wondered what I was eating each time. Is this fake? I thought.

So then I got some live mini ones instead from a Korean supermarket. They allowed me to choose the one I want from the tank and sadly, they died before I got home.

Here you see them seemingly alive, but they are a bit touch and inanimate.


Note that I have never done this before. I took the meat out and tried to scrap off the black stuff from the sides. With it cleaned, I then sliced them up sashimi style.


Ta da! All done.

These fresh mini abalone were strangely very crunch. I was expecting something a bit softer. With some slight blanching, they did turn softer. Even with its strangely crunchy texture, I still prefer these smaller ones simply because they tasted fresh and had a sweet taste to it. The frozen ones were a bit bland and really made me wonder what was really being eaten.


No comments:

Post a Comment