Monday, March 12, 2012

Mushroom Mini Farm

These days you will see a lot of stores carrying 'mini mushroom farms' that promises several crops of great looking oyster mushrooms. However, that is only the case if you follow the instructions to the letter with great care and attention. Its like the case of trying to grow your own strawberries, would you try to grow your own or buy them for a few dollars at the store? In then end, it is more of a novelty to just try to grow your own but it's pretty impractical to try to eat only mushrooms you grow yourself.

I had a bag of these ready made mini mushroom farms that was neglected for 2 weeks in the garage before taken out and trying to resuscitate it.The block is about the size of a loaf of bread where it contains a bunch of 'mushroom food', saw dust, and mushroom spores.




After I removed it from the garage, it had this crazy growth of stuff that doesn't resemble anything like oyster mushrooms. I quickly removed it and threw it away. I then proceeded to remove the outer layer of fungus material and dipped it in water in order to rehydrate it per the instructions.

After about a week of attention and way too much work of misting it with water etc, the little mushrooms grew to be about 1 inch tall. 


During my excitement I decided to tell everyone about this little experiment and got some responses that was a bit of a red flag. I was already aware of poisonous mushrooms that could get mixed up with the good mushrooms but how real a threat could it be? I certainly cannot tell the difference and perhaps I might just end up in the hospital for eating some deadly mushrooms I grew myself?

I decided it wasn't worth it and rather just buy some for what amounts to be about $3 of mushroom. My interest in the mushroom died and I stopped misting it as much.  The mushrooms withered:


No comments:

Post a Comment