Thursday, March 15, 2012

Costco Caviar

I'm not even going to pretend I know anything about caviar other than it's very expensive. I was very curious about its taste and so I happened to find some laying around for sale at my local Costco. Indeed, Costco has everything anyone would ever want. A single person could probably live in a warehouse for several years if it were suddenly left deserted.

In any case, at the expense of $68 for a 2 oz can, I was able to bring one home that included a 'mother of pearl' spoon. The packaging says "Plaza Royale - Selected Farmed White Sturgeon - Superior Quality Malossol Caviar"



 The inclusion of the spoon is a big plus because it would have cost another $5-8 just to buy it separately. Without it, I probably would have just chowed down using a regular spoon.


With the packaging removed:


A view of the back:


For some reason, I remember seeing caviar always sitting on ice cubes so I put it on ice too. It makes sense since you are supposed to keep the temperature low to keep it fresh.


Yeah, don't laugh. I am drinking some apple cider with my caviar. I suppose you are to have some delicate wine with it but I still cannot really tell the difference between good and better wines.


A close-up look at the fish eggs.


It is the first time I am having caviar to my satisfaction. It has always been served at fancy functions but you never really have the chance to pig out on some let alone really get a feel for what it really tastes like.

So what does it taste like? Tiny tiny salmon eggs (ikura) but with a nutty taste to it. There is a slight fishy taste to it but of the fresh fish taste. Actually I was surprised that it actually tastes so good. It tastes so good in fact that I was completely satisfied from head to toe with a euphoria that lasted about half an hour.  

Imagine being able to grab a spoon and dig out a huge spoonful of this caviar and just eat it by itself.

Ahhhhhh.....


After the experience I realize that it is completely worth it. I would get it again. Actually, I want to get another can this week but they are all sold out at Costco. Having Costco caviar is a very economical way to try this food since eating the same kind of white sturgeon caviar at a restaurant will easily cost 3x this.

So what are you waiting for? Run out and buy some! Actually you can get some online as well and have it shipped to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment