Monday, March 12, 2012

Boiling Perfect Eggs

Finally after years of inconsistent results, I finally got one of those egg boiler gizmos from Sur La Table. In comparison to egg timers, this plastic egg is independent of the number of eggs you boil. Using a timer, you may have to adjust the time longer if you boil more eggs with the same stove and pot since there are more eggs to heat.

Indeed, this egg timer has the SOFT/MEDIUM/HARD indicators that will get you within range of what you want, and boiling it to medium during my first try does not actually yield a soft gooy egg.

After 5-6 times of experimentation, I found I really needed a line between two lines. So for a gooy egg, you want half a mark above soft.


Is it safe?

One thing that I keep my mind on is that I really am unsure how much of the plastic boils off during the use of this product. Will any of it come off the egg timer and seep into the eggs? If the eggs shells are broken, I think even if something does come off, it'll only be on the surface of the egg. I feel slightly uneasy about this but there's no other way for now.

2 comments:

  1. you don't need a fancy gadget! boil your eggs for 5 min 10 sec, then remove and cool down in a bowl of ice water.

    or try the onsen/slow-poached egg method for max oozing and barely cooked but still edible. http://momofukufor2.com/2010/01/slow-poached-eggs/

    ReplyDelete
  2. but what about different pots and stove strengths? do you put it when it boils or when it is cold? what if you have 2 eggs vs 6 eggs?

    I tried the onsen style before with the thermometer but it takes a lot of effort to get it to within a degree.

    ReplyDelete